Monday 22 August 2011

Babyhood

I was watching my daughter today, and bias aside, she’s kind of amazing! She shouted out to me “mama look!” and started to jump. Her feet never left the ground but never the less she chanted ‘jump, jump, jump’ with the widest, happiest smile. So proud of herself for what she could only deem an achievement.
And she talks to me. Nonsensical jumbles of sounds and mispronounced words in a non-stop stream that can last 5 minutes.  The assurance that I’ll not only understand her but respond appropriately is a reminder of what confidence and belief are.
When do we lose this complete belief in one’s ability, to the point that you cannot begin to fathom that what you’re doing or what you think you’re doing may not be ‘how it’s done’. When do we start taking for granted the pure joy of being able to walk, talk and kick without falling over. I wish I could have a bit of that back. Granted, we’re not discovering any more…and yes, we have control (usually) over our faculties. But when did we stop reaching further?

No comments:

Post a Comment